October 8, 2013
Author: Jackie M
Here at Beyond Bubbie, we had the opportunity to visit Maria Vero through Dorot, an organization that arranges visits to seniors on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It was wonderful to sit with Maria and chat with her about where she has been and where she is going. Maria was born in Hungary and moved to Paris in 1968. She then emigrated from Paris to New York, where she continued to study the violin, something she had done since she was a little girl. Her husband was a concert pianist and performed in places like Carnegie Hall. This chicken recipe is a staple of Maria’s kitchen. It is something she ate as a little girl and something she continues to eat today.
1 tsp paprika
a little water
1 green pepper
salt and pepper
1. Dice the onion and saute in large pan or dutch oven.
2. Add in paprika and saute.
3. Add a little water to the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Put chicken in pan with diced tomato and green pepper.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for a 1/2 hour on a small flame.