December 26, 2012
Author: Chef Micah Wexler
Bread Flour 172g or about 5 Cups
Water 112g or about 1/2 Cup
Yeast 1g or about .35 Teaspoon
Salt 3g or about 1/2 Teaspoon
Water 154g or about 2/3 Cup
Yeast 4g or about 2/3 Teaspoon
Sugar 71g or about 1/3 Cup
Bread Flour 400g or just under 3 Cups
Eggs 2 each
Salt 8g or about 2 Teaspoons
Butter, cubed 90g or about 2/5 Cup
Milk 14g or about 1 Tablespoon
Chocolate chips 390g or about 2 Cups
Sugar 75g or just over 1/3 Cup
Salt ¾ tsp
Ground Cinnamon 1 ½ tsp
Butter 67g or about 3/10 Cup
AP Flour ½ cup
Powdered Sugar ½ + 1/3 cup
Butter 6 Tablespoons
1) Mix bread flour, water, yeast and salt til it becomes a dough.
2) Proof for at least 1 hr in a covered, oiled container. The starter can sit in the refrigerator
overnight to develop more flavor.
3) Mix water yeast and sugar in a stand mixer with the paddle, let sit for 5 minutes for the yeast
4) Mix in bread flour and the starter.
5) Gradually mix in eggs and then add in the salt and milk.
6) Add the cubed butter in pieces, then turn mixer up to medium setting until the dough comes
together. Allow to mix for approximately 8 minutes.
7) Proof dough for an hour, and then divide evenly into 6 balls. Store on a sprayed parchment,
covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
1) In a food processor, mix chocolate chips, sugar, salt, and cinnamon until crumbly.
2) Add cubed butter until the blend is crumbly and mixed.
1) In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix flour and sugar.
2) Gradually add cubed butter until pea-sized pieces form. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3) Roll out two pieces of challah until approximately 1⁄2” thick.
4) Place 1/3c of the filling in the center of the dough.
5) Spread the filling all over, leaving a 1⁄2” border on one side.
6) Roll out the dough like a cigar toward the edge
7) Pinch the edges so that the filling doesn’t fall out. Repeat for the other piece of dough.
8) Once you have both pieces done, twist them together and pinch the edges.
9) Place in an 8×4 loaf pan, eggwash the top and cover with a handful of streusel.
10) Bake in 375F oven until golden brown.