375g ready-rolled puff pastry
Flour for dusting
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 tbsp raspberry preserve
4 tbsp ground almonds
4 medium bramley (cooking) apples
170g raisins or sultanas
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp beaten egg
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Cut the sheet of pastry in half widthways. On a lightly floured surface or a large piece of baking paper, roll one half out into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle – the pastry will get very thin.
2. Lightly brush the pastry with half the oil, leaving a 2.5cm border. Using a palette knife, spread 4 tbsp of the preserve within the border and sprinkle 2 tbsp of the ground almonds over the top.
3. Peel and grate the apples into a colander, then squeeze out as much juice as you can. Spread half over the pastry, making sure the apple is evenly spread, followed by half the raisins or sultanas and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
4. Carefully roll from the long edge of the pastry to form a log. Turn so the seal is underneath, then tuck the ends under and brush all over with the beaten egg. Transfer to a lined baking sheet, then repeat with the remaining pastry and ingredients.
5. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden and puffed up. Leave to cool on a wire rack. When cold, sprinkle with some icing sugar, then cut into slices. Eat and enjoy.
Posted in Baked Goods and Desserts
Tags: almond, almonds, Apple, Apple Strudel, apples, cinnamon, egg,Gefiltefest, ground cinnamon, icing sugar, puff pastry, raisins, raspberry conserve, ready-rolled puff pastry, Strudel,sultanas, vegetable oil